Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Depth and Character


This B&W composition is an examination of the effect that depth has on two dimensional images. I expected to get a 3D effect by adding shadows, but I was surprised to find that the figures with depth seemed more "real," or had more of an emotional impact than the flat figures. The flat figures began to take on a cartoonish appearance. The addition of beveling to the figures gave them another layer of depth.

The rectangles show both progression of size and perception of depth. They also give a feeling of movement to contrast against the static image on the right. The right image reminds me of an exclamation mark, though that was not my intent. I liked the boldness of the black figure and the angularity of the image. The angles in the exclamation point create emotion and suggest breaking out of rigid formality.

The dramatic contrast of color between the light gray left side of the exclamation point and the stark black right side, make a defining statement of light vs. dark, which leaves the rectangles free to explore the range of grays anywhere in between.

My last step was to add weight to the exclamation marks. When I made the bottom square solid, the image was too stark, stiff and boring. By making the bottom square transparent, the exclamation marks appear to be embedded in a jewel.


No comments:

Post a Comment